Vue sur le château fort Saint André.
@credits

Ordered in 1292 by Philip IV of France (known as “Philip the Fair”), the castle’s role was to show the power of the Kingdom of France at its border with the Papal State across the river in the town of Avignon. From the castle ramparts, the papal fortress is clearly visible. The castle was built on Mount Andaon for protection, alongside the Benedictine abbey which had occupied the site since the 10th century.
The fort is constructed on Mount Andaon, a rocky outcrop that rises to 50 m above the floodplain of the Rhone. The outcrop has steep sides to the north and the east. Prior to the 1770s the Rhone flowed next to the base of the eastern side of the mount. The plateau at the top extends for around 220 m in an east-west direction and 160 m north-south. It is not flat but rises from south to north by 24 m. The perimeter wall of the fort encloses an area of around 3.5 hectare.
The castle owes the form in which it survives today to its last architect, Jean de Loubières (known as Jean du Louvre) who was also the architect of the Papal palace, just across the river Rhone. The construction was finished in the reign of Charles V.

Vue sur le château fort Saint André.

@credits

Ordered in 1292 by Philip IV of France (known as “Philip the Fair”), the castle’s role was to show the power of the Kingdom of France at its border with the Papal State across the river in the town of Avignon. From the castle ramparts, the papal fortress is clearly visible. The castle was built on Mount Andaon for protection, alongside the Benedictine abbey which had occupied the site since the 10th century.

The fort is constructed on Mount Andaon, a rocky outcrop that rises to 50 m above the floodplain of the Rhone. The outcrop has steep sides to the north and the east. Prior to the 1770s the Rhone flowed next to the base of the eastern side of the mount. The plateau at the top extends for around 220 m in an east-west direction and 160 m north-south. It is not flat but rises from south to north by 24 m. The perimeter wall of the fort encloses an area of around 3.5 hectare.

The castle owes the form in which it survives today to its last architect, Jean de Loubières (known as Jean du Louvre) who was also the architect of the Papal palace, just across the river Rhone. The construction was finished in the reign of Charles V.

24 notes
tagged as: france. history. Middle Ages. castle. Languedoc Roussillon. medieval.

  1. stopcommunism a reblogué ce billet depuis frenchhistory
  2. asilentio a reblogué ce billet depuis frenchhistory
  3. genericusername71 a reblogué ce billet depuis frenchhistory
  4. greyfactor a reblogué ce billet depuis frenchhistory
  5. allyoudoisactafool a reblogué ce billet depuis frenchhistory
  6. nycgeek a reblogué ce billet depuis frenchhistory
  7. nouveaufuturist a reblogué ce billet depuis frenchhistory
  8. louboutinsandpanties a reblogué ce billet depuis frenchhistory
  9. agunforhire a reblogué ce billet depuis frenchhistory
  10. adrianomaini a reblogué ce billet depuis frenchhistory
  11. gigion a reblogué ce billet depuis frenchhistory
  12. coeurdelhistoire a reblogué ce billet depuis frenchhistory
  13. frenchhistory a publié ce billet

Quantcast